About Me

My photo
Welcome to my world. I'm Tricia Gloria Nabaye, on a mission to advocate for gender equality, human rights, and democratic governance through the lens of feminist intersectional practices. With nine years of experience, I've honed my skills to be a force for positive change. My strengths lie in problem-solving and effective cross-cultural collaboration, and I thrive in leadership roles. My analytical perspective ensures that my advocacy is data-driven and impactful. My primary focus is on feminist leadership consulting, where I provide valuable insight and guidance. I also offer rapporteur services, ensuring that essential discussions are documented and shared. As a feminist researcher, my deep commitment lies in addressing gender issues, empowering women and girls, and advancing public policy advocacy. I'm a visionary dedicated to shaping the future of advocacy with a strong focus on human rights. Join me in our journey to drive positive change. Together, we can build a world where gender equality and human rights are at the forefront, ensuring a more inclusive and just society for all.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

THE GRIP OF "ONLINE" #Ugblogweek

Time check 11:05pm and the sense of commitment to fulfilling a duty to people out there is overwhelming than I thought it should.
It finally dawns me, after reading and hearing a million times that we have become addicted to the internet every single day. When I first watched the video play out of internet addiction "Look up" video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYDDVUTbh10. I was appalled and uncomfortable at how easily our lifestyles have changed with the era of technology and the internet. I have partly raised myself through my teen years using the internet, after all there is nothing Google does not know. And today, my college friends will tell you, if a graduation goes without a student thanking Google then that graduate didn't know what the word internet meant. It is by far hard to find away to separate technology, social media, and all that 21st century idol worship of being online.

While everyone has said something about how we are losing relationships, touch and real conversations as time goes by, I am more worried about what will come after the age of social media, and all that comes with the internet. Here I am fulfilling a duty to a people that barely read anything that rebukes their way of life, yet I stand on the words from one blog I follow with heart,"My advice would be this – If you can bear the repercussions of defiance, defy! If not – conform!’ I can bear a little spite tonight(which I highly doubt is coming anyway)
" How about in the need to find a way to live our lives, we forget the things that made life appealing in the years before the millennial work of the internet and all the addiction to it. I miss receiving letters, I miss real birthday cards, not some digitally created softcopy things, if only after that I could remember to convert them into real cards. I miss all the afternoons of laughter and no smart phones to take selfies all through the hours.

Without seeming whinny, we are losing track of humanity, let me be the a zillionth person to say that, for in saying it, I denounce its grip on me. You see, there was a time, when instead of whatsapping, we actually would make the effort to meet people and talk over a decent cup of coffee or tea, which by the way could be cheaper than daily data. I remember having friends and being able to  just sit for hours and wind down an evening with just indulgence in each others lives. Friends were really friends, not internet buddies. I am worried for the future. I fear for the men and women that we will become. I am worried for the parents and how they will have to convince their children that actually their parents did raise them up. I am worried for the teachers, if they do not gain new knowledge, they  will have no jobs in the future to come. I am worried for the supermarkets, for they will either go online, or lose market to online shopping(am more worried that I won't have any girlfriends to go shopping with)
And just like that, we lost all ability to live as people, I pray for a legalization of robots for in them we will be able to mirror ourselves, void of all emotion and care. the future looks thrilling! But sadly, I don't want to end up in it, if we cannot learn to use the things at our disposal for the good of each other.
 Like use a whatsapp group to throw me a birthday party, call all my friends so you could surprise me, Use email, to forward me a great designed invitation that I can download and keep in hard copy. Instead of telling me you like me online, make a point to see me in real life and let me understand it better. There are many ways to make the internet a servant to our many needs without becoming slaves to its call.
Maybe we sometimes need to Look up.

Write to me

Name

Email *

Message *