About Me

My photo
Welcome to my world. I'm Tricia Gloria Nabaye, on a mission to advocate for gender equality, human rights, and democratic governance through the lens of feminist intersectional practices. With nine years of experience, I've honed my skills to be a force for positive change. My strengths lie in problem-solving and effective cross-cultural collaboration, and I thrive in leadership roles. My analytical perspective ensures that my advocacy is data-driven and impactful. My primary focus is on feminist leadership consulting, where I provide valuable insight and guidance. I also offer rapporteur services, ensuring that essential discussions are documented and shared. As a feminist researcher, my deep commitment lies in addressing gender issues, empowering women and girls, and advancing public policy advocacy. I'm a visionary dedicated to shaping the future of advocacy with a strong focus on human rights. Join me in our journey to drive positive change. Together, we can build a world where gender equality and human rights are at the forefront, ensuring a more inclusive and just society for all.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

THROUGH THE EYES OF FAMILY


I am a step child and I am learning something new today. I have always felt the sense of entitlement to the things that belong in my father’s house. You know as a child you deserve some privileges and it is mandatory that you receive such—love being the most important. But for the very first time, I saw life through the eyes of another woman, my step mother. I realized how much I had missed the picture while growing up. I was all this time, trying to fit into a family that was never mine to begin with. I felt guilty of robbing the picture of family to my father’s legal family, but most of all I could now see mother bird’s point of view. I am impressed it is a picture, I adore seeing.  By default, all a woman expects from her husband is Love, protection, providence and fidelity. But what happens in the face that he fails at one of them if not most of them? While I am all grown up and know better than to throw dirt on my past, I finally saw the need for a complete family, through the details of my father’s home. I was stealing from this family and I was being on the offensive as well. All that they were as a family was what God intended it to be. It was never meant to be a picture of step children looming in the background. No one ever prepares to be a step mother, as much as any child to be a step child but what if in the need to be accepted by the people that sired us, we end up hurting the people who find themselves caught up in their husbands weaknesses?
Growing up we all dream of happily ever after, two and half children and a Pickett fence. And there is nothing that brings us back to the reality of such wasted dreams as a child born out of infidelity. Here I was, looking at the photos that hung up in my step ma’s house and all of them, for her babies, the real members of this family. I could not bear the guilt of realizing the pain; it takes for another woman, to raise children she did not envision in her ever after. I thought of what I would do if it happened to me, I thought of the pang of betrayal and worse more, I remembered the pain of those many teenage years of mischief and cantankerous outburst. Oh the lot women have to bear. I saw a family, that has over the years been weighed down, by the weight of five children, all born out of wedlock. While we might be a blessing no matter how we showed up here, I finally feel the pain of any woman, seeing not one but five children that are not hers run around her home...her children’s home. They have to share with her children and get of everything her children get. It is not something I would look forward to. Yet she endured it all through the years, the humiliation, the bravery, the patience, all that a faithful wife endures. I did feel her heart tonight. I finally realized that, that was not my home but someone else’. It was for my step mom’s and her children and husband.
I am my father’s child but not one to rob another family of a chance to be happy and keep a picture of a full family, maybe it is not too late to let them enjoy that reality, how it should be, just them as a whole family. I would love that if I was married. We all never prepare for broken homes and when it comes our way, we are only hoping that those children will understand it, it took me a while but I see it now. A family should never be broken much less intruded on.

 

Write to me

Name

Email *

Message *