About Me

My photo
Welcome to my world. I'm Tricia Gloria Nabaye, on a mission to advocate for gender equality, human rights, and democratic governance through the lens of feminist intersectional practices. With nine years of experience, I've honed my skills to be a force for positive change. My strengths lie in problem-solving and effective cross-cultural collaboration, and I thrive in leadership roles. My analytical perspective ensures that my advocacy is data-driven and impactful. My primary focus is on feminist leadership consulting, where I provide valuable insight and guidance. I also offer rapporteur services, ensuring that essential discussions are documented and shared. As a feminist researcher, my deep commitment lies in addressing gender issues, empowering women and girls, and advancing public policy advocacy. I'm a visionary dedicated to shaping the future of advocacy with a strong focus on human rights. Join me in our journey to drive positive change. Together, we can build a world where gender equality and human rights are at the forefront, ensuring a more inclusive and just society for all.

Friday, January 15, 2016

THE FACE OF FAMILIARITY: Of rowdy bavubukka and ignorant children.

Do you hear that boda guy that confidently says, "Size yange" to mean "my size" Or that group of young men, that keep saying "baby" Or much worse, the little children that keep on screaming, "Muzungu,Muzungu" to mean "White person." Yet a few find it evident of the fact that we have a society of people that donot respect people. It is that plain and I  have a problem with it.

When out of my normal day, someone cries out an insult that they do not recognise as such, is very annoying. I take offence because I have seen the irritation on my friend Choi girl because, not once but for the four years she has been here, she has been called "muchina" and she does not find it funny, yet the spite goes on. Do we actually, realise that the erosion, in familiarity and disrespect is making us a society of very ill- mannered folks?

Where do we miss it? Is it in the upbringing that we are not told, to respect other people and there spaces, or is it in the fact that some categories of people in our society feel like no one can do a thing to them? Is it a lack in education or in moral upholding? It is very disgusting! Yuck! Who grew such people? Does anybody ever get the chance to talk with them and tell them that it is actually wrong to hiss, call people names and much so to sound racist to the foreigners that are in our country. Would we welcome such an experience, if we went to Europe and our identifying title on the streets will be"Africa,Africa?" I see many people getting mad at the mention that some black people were ill treated abroad yet we so easily brush off our own failure to stop it at home.

I long for a day, that I will pass by young boda men or young men in any sense and have them not disrespect my person. I long for a day, that regardless of the mental pictures men make while ladies pass, that they will not live out their immorality with brusque words like; "size yange' I am not your size, your brain says you could not think the way I do, your words say that you are confused on the picture of woman that you make in your head bavubukka!

 If anyone, including myself, get a chance to talk to those little children that scream "Muzungu or Muchina", May we in position to teach them different. If anyone, including myself get the chance to hear grown ass men, lash out"baby or size yange" may we be in position to teach them better, because when they say it of one mama, they say it of every woman, they demean every woman walking the land. I am tired of asking them if they breast feed, since they are looking for baby. I am tired of looking irritated yet the same thing will happen the next day or a few blocks away. I am tired of grown men that have no limits to their familiarity at all.
For in due time, they will sire children that learn from them exactly, what they do.

Write to me

Name

Email *

Message *