About Me

My photo
Welcome to my world. I'm Tricia Gloria Nabaye, on a mission to advocate for gender equality, human rights, and democratic governance through the lens of feminist intersectional practices. With nine years of experience, I've honed my skills to be a force for positive change. My strengths lie in problem-solving and effective cross-cultural collaboration, and I thrive in leadership roles. My analytical perspective ensures that my advocacy is data-driven and impactful. My primary focus is on feminist leadership consulting, where I provide valuable insight and guidance. I also offer rapporteur services, ensuring that essential discussions are documented and shared. As a feminist researcher, my deep commitment lies in addressing gender issues, empowering women and girls, and advancing public policy advocacy. I'm a visionary dedicated to shaping the future of advocacy with a strong focus on human rights. Join me in our journey to drive positive change. Together, we can build a world where gender equality and human rights are at the forefront, ensuring a more inclusive and just society for all.

Thursday, January 07, 2016

ON CONFUSION PARTICULAR TO THE HEART

There was my fair lady...Aminata. The little fragile lady, the reason my heart beat every time. There she sat under the starry sky and in the warm January night. Her beautiful smile, fading off in the gloom that surrounded her heart. Why was she stuck up in the web of all the emotions she would share with me. But I knew my little girl far better than any one else, And I knew she was suffocating with unresolved emotions deep within.

Truth  is no one ever teaches a mother the art of telling your little girl that one day, she will feel love and pain. That she will learn sooner than you think that there is actually no line between Love and hate. No, all your life as a mother, you seek to protect your little girl from such a reality. But soon they grow up and they find that man hurts and that the heart has a lot of emotion it feels outside their ability to control.They then find out that there is more to the heart than love, there are words like; heart break and feelings and choice and love and most of all, a lone lover.
It broke my heart  to see my once innocent little girl, there trying to figure out what happens in the reality of her  life, that she found out that as surely as the day unfolds, her heart will be experiencing emotions far from what she knew. Was it great advise to tell her not to awaken love until it so desires, but when was the right time that love would arise, was it now and I was being aloof to the fact that the season was open in my little girl's life or was I failing to see the grown woman before me?

She finally spoke out,already into the new day. In a soft whisper, she told me the state of her heart. The confusions of  growing up and the expectations that are indirectly placed before her. It was not that love was such a mystery, it was the fact that the story was a jumbled one. There she was at the start of life, caught between who to love and who not to, she fought back tears, looking at the past and realizing it was always, one step wrong or one step from never happening. 

"Mama, it is hard out there, trying to make sure you do not end up with the wrong person and falling in love only to find a wall...it is the mystery of why the heart finds interest in another soul and yet decides it wants nothing to do with another. It is painful to love and not to be loved back. So much so also for those that love me, but I cannot love them the way they so desire. And the cycle goes on. One moment I am pursuing Christ and another, there is a man in the picture trying to drive me from that course. And yet again am back here, with my heart more messed up than it left" 

And the mystery of life was there for Aminata to learn from but most of all to deal with. At least my little lady was not drowning in indifference. Yes, the journey of love is one everyone walks differently, I could never find the right words to tell my daughter, other than the truth that, someday this will be all worth it.
And as I sat there, not wishing upon the stars but gazing in the dead of night, I knew the face of strong, vulnerable and love. I knew the image of Aminata's heart and I knew, behind all the facade of self confidence and boldness and wordiness, my little girl was as human as she could. Because she was capable of feeling love, just not yet lucky to find it.

Write to me

Name

Email *

Message *