About Me

My photo
Welcome to my world. I'm Tricia Gloria Nabaye, on a mission to advocate for gender equality, human rights, and democratic governance through the lens of feminist intersectional practices. With nine years of experience, I've honed my skills to be a force for positive change. My strengths lie in problem-solving and effective cross-cultural collaboration, and I thrive in leadership roles. My analytical perspective ensures that my advocacy is data-driven and impactful. My primary focus is on feminist leadership consulting, where I provide valuable insight and guidance. I also offer rapporteur services, ensuring that essential discussions are documented and shared. As a feminist researcher, my deep commitment lies in addressing gender issues, empowering women and girls, and advancing public policy advocacy. I'm a visionary dedicated to shaping the future of advocacy with a strong focus on human rights. Join me in our journey to drive positive change. Together, we can build a world where gender equality and human rights are at the forefront, ensuring a more inclusive and just society for all.

Friday, August 07, 2015

ON BRIDE PRICE AND WHY I NEED MY MUTWALO PAID

 After a petition raised by MIFUMI foundation, a women rights organization in court to remove the bride price because it was a cause to domestic violence if not a catalyst, but without scientific backing the court did not provide the needed remedies for the question on bride price. MIFUMI then appealed to the supreme court , "The Supreme Court of Uganda declared demanding a refund of a "bride price" - the traditional custom of exchanging money, cows or goods for a wife - unconstitutional on Thursday.
In a 6-1 decision, the justices ruled that a man doesn't have the right to claim repayment from his spouse's family if the marriage ends. Husbands often expect the dowry to be returned in cases of dissolution of the marriage."

 
 
Between  the Mahare for the Muslims and the mutwalo for the baganda and whatever name other tribes call bride price, the question then stands, how do we determine payment if the guarantee for the return  is not assured. Aren't we indirectly asking our men to detach responsibility in taking a bride. I am a muganda, and while the Supreme Court rules, my father deserves his mutwalo and I want my future husband to stand ovation when my dad receives his mutwalo from the next protector of his daughter. It is a pride for both men.
"While the practice itself was not struck down by the court, MIFUMI said it hoped that at least the ban on refunds of bride prices would help women leave abusive relationships." My fear then  is for a man to pay my bride price without killing me for not returning it.  How do you then leave, knowing that the man holds wrath on not getting the worth of his cattle heads from me?
How does the Muslim hajat leave without returning Mahare...lest a duwa is said for her disgrace? How do I then get the assurance of any man paying my bride price, if walking away is that easy?


White weddings are easy to dissolve because the ability to share assets is a given and divorce has its terms of process. But in the wake of the fact that our long time traditional pratises have actually spared us broken homes, we might be up for a stake of more broken marriages, single parenthood and an alienation towards marriage in the age to come. We are slowly turning into a society of less family upbringing to a disposition to individuality...

I need my mutwalo paid and regardless of what happens after that, I need the assurance that while my Mutwalo was paid, my marriage should not be held on the fact that I was bought for a price, that I have to pay at the end, or even still my guarantee to stay or leave should not be based on the fact that  I can now leave because the refund has been scrapped. Mine will be a decision, of a vow made to God and to man...For better and for worse...till death do us apart.
 
 

Write to me

Name

Email *

Message *